Saturday, June 16, 2012

Start with walking!

Walking is the most natural form of exercise you can do.  All you need is a good pair of sneakers!  If you are just starting, trying to get back into a workout routine, or taking a day off from intense training - walking is a great form of exercise.  I go on long walks on days that I'm very sore or just want to take a break from running.

If you are just starting out with exercise - start slow.  Walk at a comfortable pace and listen to your body.  If you can only do a few minutes - let that be your starting point and build up from there.  After several weeks, build it up to 30 to 60 minute sessions 3 to 4 days a week.

If you're walking on a treadmill, increase the incline a little!  It burns more calories and is great for your butt!  If you're outside - try to find hills and walk up them slowly.

I use an application on my iPhone to measure how far and how fast I walk. It also give you a detailed chart of all the hills you did.  MapMyRun.  You can create an account online (MapMyRun.com) - and download it on your phone.  Record your activity when you go on your walk, and it will automatically show it in your account when you finish and save.  It gives you a calendar with your daily activity and number of calories burned.  It is a great tool to track your progress!

Some benefits of walking include:

  • Managing your weight
  • Lowering blood pressure
  • Improving your fitness
  • Lowering bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol
  • Improving your mood!
I love walking by myself and listening to music.  It's my alone time - my thinking time.  It just gives me a change to look at things from a different perspective and gives me a positive attitude towards everything.

Remember to end your walk with a nice stretch to increase blood flow to all your muscles and prevent soreness and stiffness.  Also, stay hydrated - before, during, and after your walk, especially when it's hot out!

No comments:

Post a Comment